Made Mussels Fra Diavolo on Friday night. Sometimes I get weird hankerings and this was one of them. Don’t have any photos because we were both hungry and I was most concerned with eating. Next time.
- 2 dozen mussels
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb boneless white fish
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Scrub the mussels under running cold water
- In a large pot over high heat bring to a boil about 1″ of water.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mussels-cover and cook until the shells open about 5 minutes.
- Discard the top shell from each mussel
- Let broth stand awhile to let the sand settle in the bottom of the pot. Pour 3/4 cup of the broth into a measuring cup and discard any remaining broth. (*watch out for sand)
- In a large skillet over med. heat, heat the oil and sauté onions, green pepper and garlic until tender but not brown.
- Prepare the pasta as directed on the package. Cut the fish into 1″ chunks.
- Into the onion mixture, add tomatoes with the liquid from the can, all remaining ingredients, except mussels and mussel broth.
- (If you are adding more seafood add it now). Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil-when this comes to a boil, reduce heat to low-cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Add the mussels on the half shell and heated through.
- To serve, put the pasta onto plates or a large platter, spoon the fish/mussel mixture over and top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.